Dental fear or anxiety is one of the leading causes of missed dentist appointments. Not receiving routine care from a dentist, however, puts people at an increased risk for dental health issues that develop without notice. Many progressive conditions, such as gum disease or even tooth decay, begin with very few symptoms that are oftentimes only noticed at dental appointments. For many patients, the option for sedation dentistry can be the difference between receiving necessary dental care and living with oral health concerns like toothaches or gum disease. Our esteemed dentist, Dr. Laurence Breiterman, recommends sedation dentistry in Wayne, NJ, for many of his patients for the following reasons:
1. Anxiety—The main reason patients elect to receive sedation dentistry is to help with their dental fear or anxiety. Dental phobias vary from patient to patient, which is why nearly every dentist provides at least one form of sedation. Dr. Breiterman offers local anesthetic, nitrous oxide, and oral sedation.
2. Convenience—Commonly, complex dental procedures required multiple visits to the dentist, simply because patients are only able to handle so much treatment at a single visit. With sedation dentistry, treatment can be successfully completed in fewer or even a single appointment, without causing discomfort.
3. Time—Patients who are easily bored or have difficultly sitting still can benefit from sedation dentistry, which has a relaxing effect. With an increased calmness, young patients or patients with special needs are more compliant and able to receive treatment quickly and effectively.
4. Sensitivity—Patients who have extremely sensitive teeth and gums may find that sedation can help calm or eliminate those feelings. Even for routine dental cleanings with your dentist, sedation dentistry helps keep uncomfortable physical sensations from causing discomfort during the appointment.
5. Gag reflex—Patients who have a sensitive gag reflex benefit from the calming nature of sedation dentistry. Patients relaxed with sedation can receive treatment without any sort of gag reaction. An elimination of interruptions also helps procedures go by faster for the patient.
Sedation dentistry does not have to be just for patients who have a fear of the dentist! If you have trouble sitting still, overly sensitive teeth or gums, or a high gag reflex, sedation dentistry may be the right solution for you. Call our office today to learn more about sedation dentistry in Wayne, NJ.
Currently rated by 0 people